Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti Russian Imperial Stout

Great Divide Belgian Style yeti, Iconoclastic Imperial Stout Mysterious, brewed and bottled by GDBC, Denver, CO, blah, blah……."a delicious new blend of brewing traditions --all the malt driven roastiness of our yeti Imperial Stout with characteristic spice and fruit notes imparted by our special Belgian yeast strain. Belgian style Yeti is a one of a kind beer as mysterious as the mythical creaturehimself, Impossible? See for yourself, you'll be a believer, too." 9.5% ABV, 

Deep, dark coloration, black as night, full, rich, huge, generous, prodigious head flowers on top, creamy tan colored, rocky, lacy, gorgeous. Yeah…

Aroma: oats, roast. toffee, coffee…vanilla and cream…this gorgeous, but I can't say what's particularly Belgian about it. I'll keep on sniffing…rich and roasty-toasty, but not too unusual…

Taste: mmmm, chocolatey-riffic, …cocoa and cream, tasty and terrific, but how do I say this? Where is the Belgian in it? Maybe if they didn't say yeast strain, I'd guess it was a chocolate addition, but there's nothing Belgian ale about this. Hang on, I'm going to keep drinking…in a Belgian IPA, you can taste the "Belgian", in an imperial stout, can you? Hmmm? There's Belgian export stout, but imperial stouts, that I know of…man, I don't know what to say, I'm getting the cocoa, but nothing different. Can Belgian yeast really be heard above the dark smog of an imperial stout?? 

It's damned tasty, though, if that's all that matters…and it should. 

No comments: