Friday, December 14, 2012

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

Here's an old favorite that I haven't tapped in many a year, back on the line for a bit. Gives me a chance to revisit my initial notes from way back in March of 2003. I stand by every word. Here we go...


Color is deep, dark black, black as a licorice whip, and, we find, it tastes like one, too. Good, thick, boggy and bubbly brown head.

And an aroma that is roasted flavors to gills, as charred and heady a stout this side of an Imperial. Full of flavorful connotations, chocolate, coffee, more rich flavors, mollasses, syrup, anise.

Hugely flavorful hop bitterness jumps right on board the palate and swims through the mouth. Full, thick, rewarding, delicious. This one sticks in the mouth like peanut butter, constantly abiding finish. Perfect balance, with massive amounts of everything, it contains certain essences of Imperial stouts, without going overboard in alcohol.

I'm not sure if the style milk/cream/sweet stout is appropriate here, but then I'm not sure what to call it, myself.
Who cares? It's delicious!

----------

Way back then, it was listed on BeerAdvocate.com as  such, now it's called "American Stout." That works even better.

No comments: