Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Odell Isolation Ale

Notes from my first bottle sample, way back in January, 2004, drinking off tap right now:


Appearance: a deep copper color, with slight haze, under a fine chunk of creamy foam that too-soon gives way and deteriorates, but leaves lace.

Aroma: intriquing...mysterious...that only begins to describe the olfactory investigation, dominated neither by malt or hop, suggesting no particular flavor, vegetable before bequeathing fruit, rich and squalid, languorous while luxuriant, a copious compendium of complexity and contradiction.

Taste: bitterness up front, a swift hoppy cameo, then supported by hearty malt, brimming with sweet, yet dark fruit, with some touches of tartness conquering the palate at times, like a lemon to match the peach.
A mad mix this is, really, a curious winter warmer that complies to no particular style, and conforms to no ale I've yet to sip. That, though, makes it hard to judge, for though I admire it very much, I never quite got chummy with it.

...no, wait, that's what I thought 15 minutes ago...now, I'm starting to come around...yeah, I could do with more of this! Not a lot more, but a bit, at least..

No comments: