Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale

The flow of out of state beers continues to pour into Minnesota, even as it ebbs. Avery will pull out, and Kona pulls in. Aloha, Hawaiian beers. I had my first taste of Kona's Fire Rock Pale Ale from a trade way back in March, 2005, and it would be my only taste of Hawaii until Dave A. got those Maui beers for me not too long ago.
I received four sample bottles from Brandon S. recently, and thought I'd crack the one I'd already tried first. Here are those nearly eight year old notes (which still ring true today):


Clear tangerine countenance, suitable creamy froth holds it down.
Citric aroma, with toasty, caramel-apple tones, but overall, bitter notes and orange/lemon flavors dominate.
Smooth and crisp, with a prevailing hoppy bite. Nicely fruity, quite quenching. Bright berrries join other fruity associations.
Medium bodied, but a bit too watery and thin, with a soft, fading finish, that pleases the palate plenty before it leaves, letting the tongue rest briefly on the warm, round, appealing taste.
Very easy drinker, but could stand to have a bit more depth.

No comments: