Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Magic Hat Hi.P.A.

As with the last entry, this beer is one I haven't had since the first time I had it, long before the brewery was available in this market. I received a big bomber of Magic Hat HiP.A. in a trade with a fellow BeerAdvocate member back in December, 2003, and did I ever enjoy it. So much more than the median, it seems, as my standard deviation measure on this one is + 16.9%, and it gets merely a "good", with most of the other reviews around 3.5/5-ish or so.

How to explain this? A) The beer is not as good as it once was. B) IPAs are a lot bigger and bolder than they were back then. C) BeerAdvocate reviewers are harder to please than they once were. D) I was easier to please nine years ago. E) Things change, people change, seasons change. F) Maybe folks just don't warm up to Magic Hat beers? This is a phenomenon, advance perception, based on feelings towards the brewery skews appreciation. I.E., if this was from Founders, they'd shit themselves. G) It's just not that awesome.

Drinking a 12 ounce bottle currently, on sale at Chicago Lake Liquors, ...it's okay. But, boy, did I love it back in December, 2003. Here's what I said then:

Bright peach/apricot color, under a nice, bubbling whitish head. 

Aroma: ooo,babba, booba! Fresh, super-fat hops, piney, citric, herbal, really nice, and though certainly not the hoppiest thing ever to reach my nose, it has it's own unique, highly appreciable personality. 

Taste: juicy, fruity, awash in all manner of the above-mentioned, tangerine, melon, mango, and more than I can think of right now, very sharp, tangy and tasty...candyish at times, jolly-ranger-esque, tasty-sweet and only a tiny touch bitter...I was gonna say, until it persisted for a bit on the finish (then, I actually said it anyway), but actually I like that in an IPA, so it's working. 

Medium bodied, terrifically textured, soft, warm, smooth, harsh, many several things all jumping and jiving around the tongue and through the mouth and echoing in the mind...juicy, sour, citric, ...yum, quite a nice little take on the IPA. 

I like it...it likes me...we're a hap-py fam-i-ly... 

See what the HiPA does to me? I feel like I'm so stoned I'm watching "Barney & Friends" over cold delivery pizza for breakfast. 

No comments: