Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Back Forty Freckle Belly I.P.A.


Back Forty Beer Company Freckle Belly India Pale Ale, Proudly Brewed in Gadsen, Alabama. Craft Brewed. Liquid Folk Art. (That's a new one on me. I never would have made that up myself in a million, trillion years.) Alc by Vol. Unlisted. (7.5% ABV, I've learned.)

Pale, lightly cloud, amber/golden hued…small short white head.

Aroma: Pineapple and pine smack the nose first, followed by orange, mango, grapefruit. A beautiful blend of  citric hop flavors. Dee-lightful. A little sweet, to match the bitter.

Taste: Ahh. Lovely, lovely stuff, with a brisk delivery of hop bitterness at first, a shovelful  loaded onto the palate, then slowly, softly fading back. Incredible blend of hops, with a long finish, a lazy, luxurious presence in the mouth. Hop bitterness stays quite a long spell, and continues to spread happiness throughout the senses.

This is delicious. I'm very impressed. The first Alabama beer from a package from my friend UncleJedi of Huntsville, Alabama. I was not keeping track of how the beer scene has progressed in 'bama, and I'm very grateful to Jim for helping me acquaint myself with these beers. This is the only one from this brewery in the package…now, I'm hankering for more from them. Yum, yum, yum.

Let's see what they say on the paper: "This full-bodied India Pale Ale is loaded with fresh hops for a powerful blend of citrus, pine and fruit aromas. The firm malt backbone works well with the bold hop finish that everyone expects from an IPA. BELLY UP HOP HEADS!"

No comments: