Monday, December 31, 2012

The Story of Surly Two: Part One, the Beer

Here's the back of the Surly Two bottle that I opened on December 30 at Nate and Margarita's. A close inspection reveals it to be bottle # 003.

Here's the front view of the bottle of Two.
Let's turn back the clock to January, 2008. An unexpected call from Surly owner Omar Ansari led to the Blue Nile hosting the release party for Surly's 2nd Anniversary beer, the aptly named "Two." This was originally advertised as being at Acadia Cafe, but more inspections at their new location pushed their opening back. It was our luck to be picked as the replacement, but there was still some confusion
over a promised year-old keg of Darkness. What people didn't realize is that the 1/4 barrel of 2006 Darkness was one that Acadia was saving (and was moving over from their old location), and wasn't coming from the brewery. That meant it wouldn't be featured at the Two release party, something that wasn't clearly expressed when the change was made. At least one person who I had already told that we didn't have the beer turned to another bartender and said, "Can you get me some Darkness? This guy won't do it!"

This was the second official release party we'd done with Surly, only a few months after hosting Darkness' release on tap in 2007. It was also the first of three years in a row that we got to do the anniversary beer, a tradition that I wished could have continued. Surly likes to spread the love around and host these events at a different bar or restaurant each time. I've been fortunate to be able to do so for as many times as I have.

But back to the beer. Todd Haug, brew maestro, had been calling Two a "black ale" brewed with cranberries, harvested from a bog owned by his wife's family in Wisconsin. The "black ale" appelation caused some confusion, as it's a term that wasn't widely used back then, (not to be confused with it's current usage as another term for the "India Black Ale", or such beers as New Belgium's 1554) and I think it was his way of further avoiding comparison to certain styles. I talked to him before the release and he told me, "sure, you can call it a stout." If it looks like a stout, and tastes like a stout, why not?

So, we were host to the premiere of this cranberry stout, not a style you find every day, and it was an excellent turn-out. It was the biggest showing yet for a beer event, but they grew with each subsequent one. We went through, if I recall correctly, about a keg and a half out of two, leaving us enough left for another several days. I didn't get a chance to sit down with some and write notes that night, so I tried it the next evening, which explains my comments at the start. So, here are my notes from the fresh stuff, originally posted on BeerAdvocate.com on January 25, 2008:
---------------------------------


Served in a Delerium Tremens goblet, because that was the most convenient vessel available. And I'm lazy. Or in a hurry. (The boss is giving me the eye, turning out the lights, we've got to go...what, it's only 3:20 A.M.!)

Appearance: Reddish black, with a dependable, sturdy cocoa head. Looks every bit the part for a cranberry stout.

Aroma is tart fruit, slightly sour, slightly sweet, ultimately dry, and very likable.

Taste: the tart grips the tongue first, snappy, fresh, fully flavored, and other elements lie underneath. Solid malt, abundant cocoa, dark malts in unfailing supply, but the cranberry flavor keeps bobbing on top and dominates the taste. Alternately sweet and sour, and then dry, still some roast felt below the fruit, making for a satisfying drink. You've got to love the fruit, though, if you don't, it's not for you.

Alcohol is barely evident, and despite being a hearty, full-bodied ale, the fruit aspect helps make this surprisingly refreshing. Easy to drink, but one to pause and ponder with...I'd dig this if anyone made it, but it's extra cool as an anniversary one shot from our local bad boys
...relax and enjoy...reflect on two years of great beer...happy 2nd, Surly! May you prosper through many more!
---------------------------------------
So that was Two 4 1/2 years ago. A beer this strong, with such a large tart fruit element could only change with time. And being that this was only the second beer ever bottled by Surly, there's a great opportunity to see how it would evolve. As the artist behind the label, I had many given to me as payment. I didn't trade them off, or sell them on eBay, I gave all but 3 away to family and friends. The first one I ever opened was with my friend Debbie in 2010, and it tasted great with 2 1/2 years on it. Held up wonderfully. Plenty of hope for more improvement. I let Debbie hold on to that bottle, since she had something to do with the label (stay tuned for part two to hear that).

Bottle #356 gets a lick from the original, back in early November, 2011.

Here's that same bottle, next to my glass, at the tasting  table, with my friends' knees posing in the background.
Two bottles left, with the notion to keep one unopened forever. After all, when will my art appear on a beer label again? Probably not on a Surly again. I've had my chance, and there's many other talented artists waiting for their turn. After missing out on a sample at Autumn Brew Review that got raves from many, I decided to open my 2nd to last bottle at a tasting at my apartment, along with Darkness 2007-2011, and many other beers my guests brought to the table. "Smoother" than he remembered it, said Peter, who picked out dried fruits and raisins. Dennis picked out sour notes and flavors of treacle, molasses, and chocolate, remarking how well it held up after 3 1/2 years. Jeffrey tasted Christmas cake, felt it was more sour, more bitter. Eric found it to be an entirely different beer than he recalled, sweeter and less chewy. Cal found some anise and oxidation, but he likes that, and noted the sherry-like taste. As for me, I wrote these words down: "dark fruit, deep, sour, pungent, port-like, sweeter."

Another year passes, the New Year approaches, and I looked forward to party and Nate and Margarita's, focusing on his award-winning Imperial Stout Squid vs Whale. N & M were very kind enough to take me along for the trip out to Madison, WI for the Great Taste of the MidWest, and I wanted to bring something special to the party. This was as special as I could get. And I finally tossed out the notion of saving one and never drinking it. What's the point in that?

We saved it for the end of the party, and it was a smash hit, with the cranberry flavor and tartness more intense than ever. Some who didn't like it when it was fresh were amazed. Count me among the amazed, as well, for I couldn't find anything wrong with it, and the flavors had only increased with nearly five years on it. Naturally, I wish I had more. There may be some still out there. In fact, I know there are: my sister bought one that she still hasn't opened. I told here that she might not like how it is now, but someone out there will. And how much will they pay, there's another question.
This beer was actually auctioned on eBay for $500, but we don't know if anyone paid that amount, or how much was paid. Which of course led us to the question as we drank: "Is this a $500 beer?"
Not sure, not sure, but the experience is priceless.

2 comments:

pro wrestling photog said...

I have an unopened bottle of Two and it will remain that way forever.

Al McCarty said...

Come on...everyone has their price.