Monday, March 11, 2013

De Proef Flemish Primitive Surly Bird

Year ago, Dirk Naudts of Brouwerij DeProef had a uncanny idea, to make a wild ale, Flemish style, and name it after characters from the historic and legendary painting by Hieronymous Bosch, The Garden of Earthly Delights. Specifically, the third part of the triptych, the one dealing with Hell and featuring all many of morbid monsters. These were called Demon Fish, Rat Rider, Pin Head, Spoon Whacker, and Surly Bird, all based on particular details from Bosch's hellish depictions. I was only able to find one of these, Spoon Whacker, way back in July, 2005. I really haven't seen them so much on the retail shelves, and was surprised to find one recently, but I did buy it, and I did drink it. Here are notes on a bottle of Surly Bird:


De Proef Flemish Primitive Surly Bird, DeProefbrouwerij, Lochristi, Belgium. 9% Alc./Vol.

Picked up at Dennis Brothers Liquors, Cottage Grove, MN, last week. No idea of the age on this bottle.

Hazed-up, dull golden color, tiny, near-non-existent head.

Aroma: sour, wild and funky. Very mellow, was probably intense once upon a time.

Taste: Wild and crazy, sour and malty. Vastly complex. Fruit notes lurk below, covered by wine-y overtones and smothered by brett. I'm enjoying this.

And now I will pause to read the label. "The name Flemish Primitive refers both to the famous wild yeast that lends a unique flavor accent to this extra-ordinary ale, and to the school of "primitive" painters of medieval Flanders whose startling work kick-started the Renaissance.
Working in his ultra-scientific brewery in Western Flanders, Dirk Naudts, the Prof, is one of Belgium's leading brewmasters. …"

I give up. The type is too tiny. But I'll bet it goes on about how awesome Dirk is.

All in all, this was a great ale, but I can't help but think it was better fresh. In fact….

So, I'm thinking, if there's not a great deal of difference between the various Flemish Primitive labels, why not share that Spoon Whacker review from 7+ years ago. I thought that, and now I'll do that:

"My last Flemish Primitive (the Pig Nun) tasted wildly different six months apart. Since this bottle is at least a year old, I feel fairly confident that it's hit some level of maturity, and if it hasn't it, I'm up for the weirdness.

Hazy, peachy golden hue, big, fluffy white head. Beautiful.

Aroma: without a close inspection, it's a wild, whirly-burly thing. Closer now, it's a funky, sour, citric, yeasty mess. Orange and lemon, wild yeastiness, straw and strangeness.Pungent and invigorating.

To taste,now: smooth, but delivering a dazzling array of sweet citrus, some sour, a hit of hops, and the wild yeasties. Big flavor, very refreshing, absolutely delicious. A wonderful drink.

Zesty, tangy, terrifically alive. More spices speak up, some clove and cinnamon, even, underneath the fruit. A wicked mix of flavor, but terrifically delicious.
 I really wish I had more than the one bottle.

Huge mouthfeel, medium bodied, but so stacked in the flavor department, there's no disappointment, no dissatisfaction. A tremendous ale. I'm glad I got it at it's prime. ...or...DID I?

Amazing. That could be my one-word review. Too late for that, though..."

Wait...Pig Nun? That one is sorted on BeerAdvocate under "archived" because it is no longer being brewed. Are the others? So many mysteries. Why not, just for fun, and because we'll never get another chance, share that Pig Nun review, too?

"Clear, golden color, fuzzy white head above...lovely, really...

Sourness greets the nose at first, citric fruits, and well-worn socks...yeah, this is funky! Alcohol peeks in a bit too early...I haven't even tasted it, yet...it feels terribly strong....(yet it's "only" 9%)

Taste: big, fat sour...almost hard to take, unless you're into that stuff...and some of you are....you freaks...ahem. (who am I to talk?)
yeah, this is a sour mo'fo...but not too bad, some tasty fruits, peach and apricot, mmm...very tangy, loads of citrus, huge sour on the palate, balanced by a judicious addition of sweet...

...I couldn't finish this bottle in one sitting, and capped it until the next day, where it's lost no carbonation and no flavor, at least not in the appearance or aroma.

One weird ale, unique, but brimming with flavor and rather refreshing, if sour is your thing. As for me, the more I drink, the more I admire it. Glad I got an extra bottle, for saving.
If I were a gueueze geek, I'd give this sky-high ratings. I'm not, so there you go, but damn, this is a fine creation. I have to look out for more from these guys...anyone seen any Rat Riders around?

(paid $10.49 at Cellar's, Roseville...i had to go out of my way for this one, being a fan of Belgian ales, and Bosch. Love the PigNun, but her inkwell holder is really creepy!)

11-1-05, over 6 months later, and I cracked the second bottle, sourness is nearly gone, and it's a very mellow affair...sitting in the closet did this one some good. Now to track down Surly Bird and Spoon Whacker!"


That was April, 2005. I'm very sure now that this bottle of Surly Bird was a bit too old. Still need a Rat Rider, though!

No comments: