Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Toppling Goliath PsuedoSue Pale Ale


I you've followed this blog at all, you'll see that I like to match the serving vessel with the drinking vessel, or even a matching coaster, if at all possible. This was not possible this time, as I've never been to TG to get a growler, don't have a pint glass, or a coaster. But I was able to get their beer without going to Iowa, by having a growler fill in Wisconsin, a state that, contrary to Minnesota, does not require you to get a growler fill in a glass vessel from the brewery, They'll take anything. So, I rinsed out and dusted an old Surly growler, but did not pose it with the Samuel Smith pint glass I poured it into....and enough of that blabbedy-blah, here come the notes:

Toppling Goliath PseudoSue American Pale Ale, Toppling Goliath Brewery, Decorah, Iowa. 5.8% ABV.

Growler filled at the The Nook at the Nova, Casanova Liquors, Hudson, Wisconsin, earlier this afternoon. Hope it held it for the past 7 hours.

Clouded golden hue, beautiful creamy head of snow-drift white head. Looks fantastic.

Aroma: bright, clean, and vibrant hoppiness. Ebullient citrus notes, lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit, passionate and pithy. A little floral, a touch piney. Traces of tropical fruits, as well. Nice, nice, nice.

Taste: This one jumps on board the mouth and spills joy all over the palate. It floods deliciousness everywhere. The look of it shows an unfiltered ale, and in the mouthfeel, we're getting yeast, as well. Wonderful texture, great drinkability.

A joyful pale ale, a tasty thing with plenty of citrus-y zest to keep the tongue happy.

(I now remember that this beer was referenced in comments earlier, as Dave A.'s alternative to Zombie Dust.  I had forgotten that this is also an all-Citra brew. Well, there you go.)
April, 2014: Finally, bottles of PsuedoSue made their way into my happy hands, giving me the opportunity to show this beer in a better light.

No comments: