Friday, March 1, 2013

Minneapolis Town Hall Czar Jack Imperial Stout

Last week was Town Hall brewery's annual barrel-aged week, in which each day brings a new barrel-aged twist on a THB classic, usually ending with the favorite, Czar Jack. This award-winner is an imperial stout, Old Jack Frost, aged in Jack Daniels barrels.

This year is the second time they've sold tickets for growlers, ending the drama, frustration, and confusion that ensues when there are more customers at the bar than beer to sell them. You had to wait in line on the Sunday morning  before the event to buy a ticket to allow you to take home a 64-ounce jug. I don't really observe Sunday mornings, except at the early end of them, so I'm never there at 10 am. I made it to the pub for only two days of this event, last Tuesday and Wednesday, and was glad to find they still had tickets left, but only for Twisted Trace, (which I'll get to soon), and Czar Jack.

You're not going to see notes for Buffalo Bock, Manhattan Barrel or any of the others that I didn't get a growler of, because I no longer take notes at the bar, at least I rarely do. But did I ever? Sure, and here's evidence. Before I ever was able to get a growler of CJ, I took notes way back in November, 2004, over eight years ago. Here they are:


My first encounter with this beer, which took a Gold at the GABF back in 2001, finished in a Jack Daniel's barrel and served at the 7th Anniversary party.

Pours out black as my morning coffee, with a shallow brown ring of foam atop. Judicious 10 ounce serving.

Aroma is rich and strong, sending off a panoply of associations, carob, maple, a hint of charcoal and a wisp of leather, but cocoa is taking the lead...big with the bourbon, though still, somehow velvety smooth. Whiskey tones ride a sidecar next to the chocolate. Some glimmers of juicy fruit interject and jumpabout in the flavor, too. Staggeringly complex! Slick, thick texture on the tongue, full bodied, long, deep finish, huge mouthfeel. Yet, still, unbelievably smooth

This was deliriously good! Had two samples, that I can remember, and so wish I could take it home and enjoy as a nightcap. If it were more accessible, perhaps that could prove to be a detriment to my participation in good society?

-----------------------------------------------------
I opened the growler last night and regret that action, for my guest and I had already had plenty that evening, and he was heading to dreamland. I didn't have much longer to last, either. We barely made a dent in it. So, it's looks like I have a nightcap for the next night or two!

And, by the way, it's still as good as ever!

No comments: