Saturday, March 2, 2013

Two Brothers Outlaw India Pale Ale


Two Brothers Outlaw India Pale Ale. 60 IBU. 6.3 % ABV. A whole family of Great Beers (even if one is an outlaw.) Two Brothers Brewing, Warrenville, IL.

Clear and amber colored, under a good 1/4 inch of creamy off-white foam. Looks good, looks nice.

Aroma: Ah, beautiful bitterness, plenty of hops, but a good smack of sweetness, too. Grapefruit and pine, and a squirt of lemon. Very good.

Taste: In the mouth, it's …hoppy, and …bland, …and lifeless. Plenty of juicy malt lays below, but the hop profile, which should be the cornerstone of any IPA, is rather blase. I want to like this. I want to like every beer, of course. This is low on the bitter hop bite, utterly quiet, lacking character. Man, oh, man, I keep wishing I could get behind this.

Let's see what they say on their own label: "As bold as the name suggests, but as friendly as the masked man, come our first adventure in to the world of cans. This IPA is full of cirrus and pine hop character and aroma. The hop flavors play off the pleasant malt complexity like a good sidekick. Giddy-up."

I'm gonna drink the rest of this 6-pack, and I'l do it with a lack of enthusiasm. It's not terrible, but lacks inspiration. Maybe I'll change my mind by can #5, but as it is, this one is just kind of…eh.

No comments: