Saturday, March 30, 2013

Indeed Hot Box Imperial Smoked Pepper Porter


Indeed Hot Box Imperial Porter/Smoked Porter, with Peppers, or Imperial Smoked Pepper Porter? One of those things. In collaboration with Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub in South Minneapolis. Brewer/owner Jamie Robinson, of Northbound, worked at Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery with Indeed brewmaster Josh Bischoff, and, I believe, co-owner Tom Wisenand. Jamie smoked some malt (and the peppers) at Northbound, then went over to Indeed in North Minneapolis to brew the thing.
 9.5 % ABV.

And now it's at last on tap at a bar near me, and in my glass, and I'm about to drink one.

Solid ebony appearance, lush, lace-leaving, light tannish head atop. A beautiful thing.

Aroma: Pepper heat and smoke lead the charge, with smoke a bit ahead. Very rauchbier-isch. Lightly sweet smoke-y malt, with peppers creeping slightly behind.

Taste: Boards the palate with full aplomb, again with smoked malt dominant, and pepper taste just after. Jalapeno and Fresno peppers were employed in this, and I'm glad they aren't a major part of it. They're there, but they're not stoking your tongue over hot coals, piercing your senses with hot pokers, drilling the palate with intense chili heat.

I've not been shy about sharing the fact that jalapenos and I are not exactly friends. I love spiciness, but am incapable of handling intense heat from those and other, hotter chilis. Cheers to those of you who are happy with them, and call me a wimp if you want. I pick them out of my meals, and do not care for them in my beers. Especially lagers. But ales, especially porters, imperial porters? Smoked porters? Imperial smoked porters? Those I can handle.

One flaw, if any, would be that traditional porter-y flavors do not emerge, for they are all but swamped by all these extra, added tastes. There's some chocolate malt lurking below, some slight roast, a light cherry or other dark fruit. But swamped over by the smoke and the pepper.

One thing that doesn't dominate, however, is the alcohol. That's staying on the mellow side, despite it's …whoa. Spoke to soon. There it is.

All in all, another excellent effort from Indeed.

No comments: