Wednesday, March 20, 2013

De Proef Lozen Boer Abt


De Proef Brewmaster's Collection Special Reserve  Lozen Boer Abt, Abbey Style Ale, .."Legend of the Cow Smuggler"…whatever that is. 10% Alcohol. 750 ml, 1 pint, 9.4 fl oz.

The last bottle I opened from my visit to the middle of nowhere bottle shop to pick up hidden gems was a witbier by De STruise that I didn't even drink. The color was off, the aroma was horrendous, and there was a horrific mass of floating dark particles. How old was this beer? I didn't bother taste, just poured it down the drain. Let's hope a similar fate doesn't befall this bottle. It's much more expensive and I'm really anticipating a good one, here. Fingers are crossed. Unlike the Surly Bird and the Saison Imperiale, I haven't had this one before. Fingers crossed and clicking my heels.

Dark, murky, raisin-y/burgundy brown appearance, no head at all. Not the best, by a long shot.

Aroma: This I like. Funky, wild, slightly sour, replete with dank dark fruits, raisins and plums. Small amounts of sweetness, masked by sharp vinous character. This, I like.  A lot.

Taste: Loads onto the palate without a fuss, gently lands with malt sweetness, funky yeast, wine-like flavors. No hops to be found in the flavor, alcohol is not detected yet, either. Mouthfeel and texture is far thinner than I would expect, or would like. Something has suffered with age here, while other things have probably advanced. More than anything, I have to wonder, once more, about the exact age of this bottle that I bought way out there, and I wish I'd tried it young, to compare against what it's developed into.

And here again we ponder the nasty trick of drinking aged beers. What did we lose, versus what might be gained? It's mellow, but lacks a certain spark. And, again, I never tried this fresh, so I have no idea and can only imagine what kind of spark it might have had.

No comments: