Wednesday, March 6, 2013

De Proefbrouwerij K-O Blond Beer

My efforts to scour up the remnants of the Shelton Brothers Imports beers that are likely not to be re-shelved any time soon has led me to spend more money than I should have. And to find a bottle of K-O, the Blond from De Proef. I first tried this in April, 2005. Here are those notes:

K-O Blonde Beer, 10% ABV.
750ml bottle, corked and caged. Anticipation is high, as I was very impressed with my first De Proef brew, the Flemish Primitive. Here's to #2!

Clouded golden appearance, blessed with impressive, milk-white head. Very attractive.

Aroma is pineapple and peach, orange and lemon, liberally dusted with spice, slightly sour at the back. quite nice.

Tartness leads in the taste, then fruit takes over, same as detected in the nose. Plump, and pulpy, with a peppery side affect. Washes over the palate with abrasive charm, a bold, yet friendly delight, getting kickier and kickier with every subsequent swallow.
fullish body, long, spicy finish.

No diminishment in flavor found here, halfway through the bottle, and I can be correctly colored "impressed". Expected a typical Belgian blonde ale, got something quite unique. Don't think I've ever had a brew just like this one before.

Hooray for the Prof!
----------------------------------
This bottle re-confirms those old comments. There was some age on this one, but it was as dank, murky and funky as most Belgian blondes are not.

No comments: