Thursday, July 11, 2013

Great Dane Unleashed Double Dubbel Belgian Style Ale


Great Dane Unleashed Double Dubbel Belgian Style Ale. 10.6% ALC/VOL. 22 ounce. My first bottle from Great Dane. I didn't even know they had bottles. And a dubbel, my favorite style. But, how is it?

Appearance: No head on it, to start with….dark reddish brown. S'aright, I guess, but I could use a moment of foam.

Aroma: hot, peppery, fruity, raisins and plums, Belgian-yeast, plenty of malt.

Taste: Boom! More of that found in the aroma, back on the tongue. Although, to pick at nits, it lacks in carbonation (as evidenced by the lack of head), and it lacks depth. It has heat, it has massive malt, it has flavors galore…more of the peppery notes, much more raisins and cherries, a touch of chocolate, mondo heat, mucho richness…but ….maybe I didn't mean depth, I meant…lacks character. There's nothing really …. it's just missing personality. More of a "hot mess" than a bouquet.  Delivers bountiful flavors and alcohol presence, but skimps on the soul. Yeah, needs a bit more soul.

No comments: