Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Metropolitan Krank Shaft Kolsch (-style Ale)


Hey, I just had a kolsch by Peacetree Brewing, of Iowa. Why not do a head-to-head with another kolsch, one from Metropolitan Brewing of Chicago,( the only bottle from Metropolitan that I took home with me)? The truth is, the styles they do aren't the ones that grab me. Yep, I like the hoppy ones, the dark ones, and the Belgians. I actually like everything, but the lighter styles rank lower in my favor. Oh, they've got their place and they are wonderful, but don't grab me. Maybe next time…on with the beer….

Metropolitan Krank Shaft Kolsch-style beer. Metropolitan Brewing, Chicago, IL.
We have to say "kolsch-style", because Chicago is not Cologne, is it? Just as we can't make a Champagne in Sheboygan or a cognac in Kentucky.

Lightly hazed, highly carbonated, yet with a dead head. Straw gold hue.

Aroma: lightly fruity notes, minor hops. Slightly sweet and honey-ish.

Taste: Pear comes out first, then apple. Dry, and slightly bitter, with a still minor hop presence. There's flavor, but it's fairly slight as well and finishes swiftly and dryly. Light bodied and easily consumed, no fuss, no muss. But there's little pleasure in it.

Let's read the tiny type copy on the side of the bottle: "Brewed in homage to the beer of Cologne, Krank Shaft is a pale straw hued smile in a glass. We throw in a little wheat to round out an easy  Santiam (?) hop bitterness."

Huh. Well, okay. I'm not especially thrilled by this. All in all, rather blah. No delights to be found.

In this head-to-head, Peacetree wins out.

No comments: