Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Lost Abbey 10 Commandments Belgian-style Ale

I had a birthday 2-days recently. Sunday, my actual b-day, and yesterday, Monday, July 1. You know how kids these days say it's their "birthday week", or, more nauseatingly, "birthday month"? Well, I had two days to celebrate turning 45, of all numbers in the world. Sunday was a gathering of 5 friends at my apartment, yesterday I invited many more to the Harriet Taproom for a private party on a day they are normally closed. Each day I opened bottles that I'd had before, and shared with friends. These were beers I'd reviewed already, and was most likely trying anew for the first time since the first time.

Let's start with my first ever Lost Abbey ale, 10 Commandments, a 10% ABV Belgian-style strong ale brewed with raisins and other things. Got my first in a trade six years ago, July of 2007, haven't had one since. Records show that I've only had eight other LA beers, and I'd certainly like to move that number up. Here are those original notes:


Dark mahogany hue, lighter ruby round the edges, under a lovely cap of cocoa foam.

Sweet, spicy aroma, a a curious complexity. Raisins are there, carob and caramel, too. Yummy.

so, let's drink 'er!
A snap on the tongue starts it, sharp, deep and spicy.Raisins kind of dominate the flavor here, with malt hot behind. Feels like port wine mixed with good scotch. Rich and delicious. Damnably delectable. Lays on the tongue and lasts a long, long time. Yum. More I'm drinking it, more I'm liking it...the raisiny flavor isn't too sweet, and the character becomes stronger, the body fuller, the experience more memorable. Even while the strength creeps in.

Halfway through the bottle, I'm wishing I had more. Very good.
Maybe even great>

No comments: