Wednesday, July 3, 2013

New Belgium French Aramis IPA


I've been picking and choosing from the current New Belgium releases lately, for various reasons. Like, the fact that I don't know what a Pluot is, or that a "hoppy bock" doesn't sound appealing to me. But, some thing leap out and grab me, even though I've still got plenty of beer waiting for me, especially more and more bottles from that Chicago trip.

So, let's jump into New Belgium French Aramis India Pale Ale, from something called the Hop Kitchen that I've never heard of. Alc 6.7% by Vol, New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, CO.

Lightly hazed, copper/amber hue, lush lace-leaving head holds tight on top.

Aroma: odd, unique, funky, but particularly pleasing. Straw, hay, barnyard, with a citric twist, a side of pepper. Zesty and floral, at once. Delightful.

Taste: Big hop attack up front, forceful blast of bitterness, coats the palate, traverses the length of the tongue, and to the back. And there's that flavor from the hops. Malt is pale and dry, with a copper-y tinge, lightly bready. This has me thinking a bit of a biere de garde, although it feels like a throughly unique creation.

I'll take a moment to peek at the label copy: "A drier IPA for the summer, brewed with French Aramis hops to create an aroma of fresh cut flowers and garden herbs."

Well, what do you know about that?

It does end rather dryly on the tongue, it's crisp and refreshing and undeniably hoppy, with a distinct hop profile that I find uniquely invigorating.

No comments: