Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ska Decadent Imperial IPA

Decadent Imperial IPA, from Ska Brewing, Durango, CO. 10 % ABV. Number eight in the birthday beer series. For this one, I look back on notes from July, 2006:


Hazed orangish hue, slim , soon-gone head.

Aroma of pithy citrus, big time resiny pine, sappy, orange and lemon...sweet and bitter, two step, side step, cha cha cha...

Tastin' it: big, flabby citrus, huge hops, loud flavor, and creeping alcohol. But, lacks a cohesive character, somehow. Just doesn't stand out enough. An outsized IPA, alright, just not imperial enough to merit the name.

Full bodied, fruity, bittersweet finish, but a bit flat in the flavor department, fails to deliver anything big and beefy. Good try, though.
Wish I could get excited about it, but, eh...there we go...
------------------------

And here's where I'm wishing I'd taken notes on it. Not as bad as these notes suggest, but not quite good enough for what I was expecting, perhaps. Maybe I went into with a different criteria, seven years ago? Maybe the beer got better? This bottle I had on my birthday was just fine, though not at all mind-blowing. C'est la vie.

No comments: