Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Bruery White Oak


The Bruery White Oak, 50% ale, 505 ale aged in bourbon barrels. Some descriptions on the front that I'll read later. Orange County, CA.

Appearance: clear and brilliantly golden, pure white head, lace-leaving and lasting.

Aroma: Bourbon hits the nose first, raw whiskey notes roaring out, with oak and vanilla flavors dominant. Slight sweetness, with a sour edge.

Taste: Again, whiskey hits first on the palate, major sweetness, big-time vanilla, over-arching oak, with caramel-y sweet tones below that. Minor hop presence, with a creeping alcohol content. Let's peek at that label. 11.5% ABV. Uff-da.
Sharp, slightly acidic, and intensely alcohol, brimming with bourbon. I'm not sure what the base beer is supposed to be, so I will cheat and read the label now, both sides.

"Vivid caramel-esque, coconut-like, and vanilla-ish flavors blanketed in a crisp yet robust wheat ale." Hmmm, I didn't quite get the wheat, but now that you mention it. And I think the blanketing is the other way around, all those flavors blanket the base, not vice versa. There's more gobbledy on the back, isn't there?
"White Oak is suitable for aging up to two years when cellared properly. Best stored and cellared…blah, blah, blah…pour carefully, enjoy in a chalice…blah, blah…"

I've got to take these down solo, so I can take these notes and notch it off my list, add it to the repertory of the blog. But it's the sort of thing I wish I had multiples of, waiting in the fridge to share with friends. Next time I see this I'll grab an extra one, just for that purpose. I've enjoyed every Bruey brew I've tried, and this was no exception. Another distinctive triumph.

No comments: