Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast

Months ago, I lamented the passing of Shelton Brothers and it's beers from our area of distribution, and vowed to keep an eye out for some of those brews before they disappeared. I made an error in buying some at a store where they'd been sitting for who knows how long. So now, I'm trying to get fresher versions in my visits to Wisconsin, where SB's beers are still coming in. So, last Sunday at Casanova's in Hudson, WI, after visiting Dave's BrewFarm, I found 12 ounce for "only" $6.50. The last time I bought one it was 22 ounces for $10. And here are those notes from then, back in June of 2008:

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast, Copenhagen, Denmark. Imperial Stout with Coffee, 7.5% ABV. 

Brewed at Nøgne Ø. 

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

Darkness aplenty, with rich dark brown foam. 

Rich, bittersweet, coffee aroma, silky smooth oat feel. 

Big texture, thick and roasty. A bit intense. Complicated. Abundantly rich and flavorful. Gets smoother and easier as we go. Rough edges fall off. 

Don't know if I'd put this at the top of my list of favorite coffee stouts, but it's an excellent entry in the category. Satisfying. Think I'll have another, even at $10 a bottle.

No comments: