Thursday, August 1, 2013

Three Floyds Deesko! Berliner Style Weisse Beer


Three Floyds Deesko! Berliner Style Weisse Beer. Three Floyds Brewing Company, Munster, Indiana. Can't find alc. by vol. anywhere. Can't be much. I'd hope. Love the label. Germans love tanks, and conquering the world, and 80's new wave haircuts. And fire, apparently. Let's drink it!

Very clear, amber-y appearance, small head, soon gone, zips down to nothing.

Aroma: sour, wild, funky, fruity, wine-like.

Taste: Ooooh, big puckeration, huge sour, massive tart. Nothing but funk. OOooo! Weird, wild, crazy. There's wheat under here, there's citrus and spice, but covered up by this overwhelming sourness. Wow! Now, I know why they use the syrups for this in it's native Deutschland. Crazy funk. I've said that twice now, that makes it twice as true.

Whoa! Amazing! how often do we find a beer like this in the U.S.? I think Bell's The Oarsman is supposed to be a Berliner Weisse, but it ain't as bracingly sour as this one. Are you sure this isn't a wild Belgian ale? Have I ever really had a Berliner Weisse? I can't be sure. Never had one quite like this.

(Checking beeradvocate.com, we see that under the Berliner Weisse category, I've reviewed exactly two, the aforementioned Bell's The Oarsman, and one from Dogfish Head called Festina Peche. Amazing that I haven't come across more. August Schell just released one, but I haven't seen it on any shelves yet. I will go looking.)

Wonder what the gobbledygook is? "This "not normal" Berliner Weisse is a tart and refreshing liquid homage to Euro culture." Sure. Why not. I doubt that this is being consumed in any desko. Or nazi tanks. Unless it's Euro-culture fashion to drink feline urinary, sauvignon-blanc-y, vegetal, grassy, wild and yeasty, and ever-so crazy wheat ales.

Vild und cra-a-a-zy.

No comments: