Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Alesmith Speedway Stout (Coffee Imperial Stout)

the last of the Alesmiths brought back from Wisconsin, a wonderful 12 % Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, a terrific  treat I was happy to reunite with for the first time since I took these notes almost 10 years ago, November, 2003:



An Imperial stout that's also brewed with coffee? This must be the beer designed just for me!

Dark as the blackest night, with a head that, on this pour, stays small, but lasts for the duration as a fine, brown-tinged ring.

Aroma is thick and viscous, a twisted, motor-oily smell, wrapped up in licorice, molasses, dark rum. Deeep, dark, delectably intoxicating. Potent stuff, wicked, but delicious: I love it!

Taste: an intensive barrage boards the senses, thick, chewy, immense, the flavor quickly dominates the senses, slays any opposition, rearranges the furniture, makes itself completely at home in the mouth. There's a new King in the Castle. Devastating, amazing!

Coffee flavor is there, for certain, but isn't dominant, rather it seems to be the skeleton that holds this incredible flavor together. And a never-flagging flavor it is, too, every element continue to roll luxuriantly in the mouth. I was in a state of beery blissdom, brought on by this bottle.

Alcohol is so well-concealed by the flavor, it's largely unfelt until halfway through the bottle. And I made a mistake, not realizing that it's a whopping 12%, until I was well into it. My sobriety took a definite hit in this sampling.
A most impressive stout. If I were a very good boy indeed, I'd love to sink into one of these every night, as my reward.

No comments: