Monday, October 7, 2013

New Belgium Lips of Faith Pluot


New Belgium Lips of Faith Pluot. Ale Brewed with Pluot juice. (Hey, just between you and me? What's a pluot? I honestly don't know…shhh…)

10% alc. by vol. Best enjoyed by May 2014. (Whew!) There's more writing on the side, but it's in pink lettering, and I'm not going to attack that now.

Psychedelic graphics. Pastels, neons, loop-de-loops. I still don't know what a pluot is, but I'm going to open it and drink it.

Hazed, peachy coloring, slim white head. Alright, looking good.

Aroma: funky fresh and wild. Fruity. Tropical. What? (is a pluot, I continue to ask)….nothing but fruity, no hop bitterness, nothing really coming through from malt.

Taste: Starts tart, sour, nearly bracingly so, and swiftly covered up with fruit, and little else. Pear, apricot, peach, …in that order…sweet and sour are involved in a great debate, wrestling for dominance on the palate. Incredibly unique taste, there's sourness, and there's fruit, but the result is beyond what we normally know. Whoa.

This is a crazy beer, and I love it. Lots of fruit, lots of sour, plenty of sweet, massive tons of Belgian-style yeast craziness. I still don't know what a pluot is...

3 comments:

lizpeck said...

Pluot=plum+apricot

John Seals said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluot

Al McCarty said...

okay you guys do understand that I'd already uploaded the wiki definition of a pluot by the time I'd posted this review? No? You didn't? Oh, well.