Friday, October 25, 2013

Ballast Point Pale Ale (kolsch)

Did I ever tell you how much I love samples? Love 'em to pieces. They help me expand this blog without costing me a cent. I got my first samples of Ballast Point from my distributor, and it was 2 bottles of one of their beers I've had six years ago, a kolsch-style ale that they're calling a "pale ale" for marketing purposes, and that they used to call Yellowtail, but no longer do, although there's still a yellowtail fish on the label. (Fish is their thing at BP.)

The commercial description stars this off, followed by my notes from July, 2007, from a bomber received in a trade.


"There's no wonder why our Pale Ale is so popular--it is skillfully crafted in the style of the Kolsch beers of Cologne, Germany. We've chosen German hops for aroma, and rounded out the recipe with a blend of American and German malts.

While it is very much like a pilsner, our Pale Ale is fermented at ale temperatures, giving it a subdued fruitiness--a perfect compliment to the crispness of the wheat and maltiness of the Munich malt. If you like a lighter brew but also like the complexity of craft beers, then our Pale Ale is for you. "

23 IBU

7/16/07

Golden-hued and clear, below a small white head.

Citrus-y aroma, fresh orange and lemon zest...light spices....fragrant and lively.

Fresh on the tongue, with plenty of hop zing blasting the palate. Then all is smooth and lovely. Light bodied, light hops, tasty malt below...a kolsch, but called a "pale ale" on the label..."I guess"...but, it works, it's a lighter easier-drinking ale, no chore to toss back,but full of flavor.

Should be offered in 6-packs, though, not 22 oz bombers. Just not spectacular enough to warrant the size or the price. A good beer, don't get me wrong, just doesn't push my buttons...

My misgivings continue in 2013. It's kind of an "eh...sure, I need something to drink" kind of beer, but nothing more.

No comments: