Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Traveler Jack-o-Traveler Pumpkin Shandy or something


I'll drink a shandy if it's blazing hot outside, and I don't want to be become too inebriated too soon. I've been known to make my own on those occasions, usually with a can of soda and an inexpensive wheat beer, or lager, or something light. Those are my conditions for drinking a shandy. I'm only having this one because it's free, and I've got to try 'em all. Just like Pokemon.

Jack-O-Traveler Shandy, Ale brewed with lemon peel with natural flavors and pumpkin added. The Traveler Beer Company, Cincinnati, Ohio, in collaboration with the Boston Beer Company. 4.4% Alc. by Vol.

Murky orange coloring, little head to speak of, but major carbonation. No especially attractive.

Aroma: Major hits of cinnamon and nutmeg. Pumpkin flavoring follows. Hardly anything else.

Taste: Spicy and sweet, with a mild hop bite. Light bodied, with a vanishing finish. Leaves the palate quick as it came. Pumpkin pie spices are back wit every new sip, but actual beer flavor is absent. Would I know I was drinking a "shandy" if it wasn't on the label, or would I just think it was a shitty pumpkin beer? Sweetness follows spice assuredly, followed by nothing, pretty much. It drinks easily, can be called refreshing, but I find no delight in this.

Not for me. Probably not for you, either. Or maybe it is, be your own boss. Be the pumpkin shandy-loving boss of your own life, see if I care.
Some breweries, or shanderies, spend too much effort on their marketing, compared to the amount put into their beer. This is one example.
(Sorry, I don't know what came over me.)

No comments: