Saturday, December 7, 2013

De Proef/Cigar City Collaboration: Tropical Tripel


Tropical Tripel. De Proef and Cigar City (Tampa, FL) met up in Belgium and collaborated on this one, using trappist yeast, brettanomyces, dried peaches, and toasted coconut, aging it on oak. I've had a keg of this on tap for a couple of weeks now, and had better take notes now before it runs out. (And I'm forced to spend money on a bomber.)



Appearance: Clear, bright golden hued, lush, creamy white head, leaving lace behind. Looks great.

Aroma: Sour hits first, with sweet swiftly on it's heels. An intriguingly wicked funky twist from the yeast, Brux III, they tell us, with the fruit closing in from behind. Oak effects rounds it out, holds it in, keeps it nailed down. Liking this.



Taste: Here, the sour twist and the sweet peach notes come together and land on the palate just so. Floods the mouth with complexities and delights. So many interesting tricks on the tongue. A little wild, a bit fruity, graced with the barrel's work. So many things happening that I don't notice when the 9.5% ABV comes barreling down on the brain. Boom, boom. Okay, take it slow….but, it tastes so good…come on, slow it down…you can do it.

Apart from that alcoholic spike, I really dig this one. The coconut does not stick out in the least, lays in the background, meshed with the peach profile. Hops are doing their own thing, too, but the yeast, fruit and oak are the true stars here. So tasty, so delicious, I am loving this. One of my favorite new beers. Favorite new beer of 2013? Maybe I should think about that? I totally forgot to in the past two years. Maybe, maybe.

Get a bomber, put on your swimsuit, hit the plastic pool, and put some zinc on your nose. Me, I'm enjoying this on tap before I head out into…hold on, now…nine degrees below zero. Yes, December in Minnesota. The Tropical Tripel will fortify me before I head off into the frozen wasteland. Wish me luck…

Here's more info from the label: "Tropical Tripel was brewed with a classic Trappist yeast and the lesser known Brux III strain of Brettanomyces. During the boil Magnum and Simcoe hops were added along with Belgian candy sugar and lactose for added mouthfeel, then it's finished with additions of toasted cocoanut, dried peaces, and medium toasted oak. We hope you enjoy this collaboration of brewing styles, cultures, and climates!" 9.5% ABV.

No comments: