Thursday, February 20, 2014

Brooklyn Pilsner


Brooklyn Pilsner. 5.1% ABV. "In Texas, malt liquor." (Good to know.)

As with the New Belgium Shift entry the other day, I got this in a sampler 12-pack, where the breakdown this time was 2 beers that have already made their mark here (Brooklyn Lager & East India Pale Ale) and three that I haven't yet had the opportunity to review (this, Pennant Ale, & Brown Ale). I'd be less likely to encounter a beer like this, for I just don't reach for pilsners much. And because of that, I was disappointed the apportionment in this 5-beer sampler pack. Two each of four, and 4 of one, that being the Brooklyn Lager. So, I get 6 lagers vs. 6 ales, but the bright side, it's all quality goods. They won't go to waste.

Clear, bright golden hued, big white head that drifts swiftly to nil, leaving some lace.

Aroma: light hop bitterness, small sweetness, turning dry, floral, rather delicate and delightful.

Taste: Light, crisp, with a strong hop presence. Sweet, luscious malt holds firm, while tangy hops do their dance. Excellent balance in this pilsner and exquisite drinkability. Hop bitterness lasts long on the palate, hangs hard in the back of the mouth. Me, I'm digging it. Every once in a while, I have to push aside my preference for ales, and say, "Yeah, I can drink one of these, you bet."

What's the gobbledygook on the label say? "Brooklyn Pilsner is a pale refreshing lager, brewed in the style favored by Pre-Prohibition German-American brewers. Brooklyn Pilsner tastes best before the freshness date indicated. Please visit the brewery, blah, blah…" What's the f.d? May 2014. Okay, we're good. Fresh it is, fresh it tastes, mmm, mmm, good.

No comments: