Monday, February 10, 2014

Harriet Divine Resolution Spiced Belgian-strong Golden Ale


Harriet Divine Resolution. This is one we had on tap for the 1st Anniversary 2 years ago (I'm pretty sure), which means that it was gone while I was working and I never got to do a proper tasting. It's never been released in growler form while I was aware, which is why it hasn't appeared here yet. So, imagine my surprise when I called in an order to the new distributor of Harriet's beers, and they said, "hey, we've got some Divine Resolution if you want some." Yes, please, and here we are, and I'm going to have some and talk to you about it.

What is this Divine Resolution? It's Divine Oculust, the Belgian-style Strong Golden Ale, brewed with orange peel and coriander. These are the traditional spicings for a witbier, now applied to a golden. Fine with me. What either of the names mean is another question, which I cannot answer.

Clear, bright golden coloring, lush, voluptuous, snowy white head. Looks gorgeous and inviting.

Aroma: exactly as expected, delivering the light, but attractive floral/vegetal spice character one gets in a witbier, now delivered in a heartier brew. Citrus notes abound, as well. Wonderfully pleasant.

Taste: Lightness, smoothness, and deceptively strong. This is a common phrase when describing a Belgian golden or a triple, and I've encountered it pouring this for newcomers. Yes, it feels light, but don't call it flavorless, and just you wait, it'll knock you on your tuckuss. The spice continues on the palate, as well as the fruit, and the alcohol burn. There's a special, light loveliness involved that treats the tastebuds and delights the drinker. mmm, mmm. Particularly pleasing. Plenty of action on the palate, lots of tantalizing texture, just enough hops, keeping it good and tasty.

How does it differ from D.O. proper? Without a bottle, growler, or glass at my easy disposal, it's hard to reckon, but I'd say that this is just a little bit more of something already pretty awesome.

No comments: