Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Northbound The Imposter Brown Ale


Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub The Imposter Brown Ale.

Here's a case of you can't always get what you want. And also the lesson of act now, or you'll be sorry.

Yesterday was my first visit to Northbound in nearly two months, for no good reason at all. Weather, lack of funds, other places to go, things to do, etcetera. But it was nagging away at me that I hadn't been there in so long, and have only entered a few of their beers on this blog. They may actually be the closest brewpub to me, about 20 city blocks away, merely a mile or so, easy to get to via bus or lightrail and walkable in the right weather. (Which is what I had to do on the way back last night, after missing the last lightrail for another 40 minutes. Happily, we seem to be sliding out of the sub-zero temperature days.)

I got a sense of urgency when reading about their doppelbock on their Facebook feed, and hearing about an eisbock from a friend. I kept trying to arrange a trip out there all week, but could never find the time. Finally did it last night, only to learn the eisbock was gone (very small batch), and the doppelbock (very tasty) was on, but no growlers. They fill them at the beginning of the beer's run, but stop filling when they run low. Rats! So, I could have gotten one if I'd only come in earlier. Also, Snownami, the delicious raspberry imperial stout was available, but, too, no growlers. As I've stated, I tend to not want to take notes on a beer when drinking it on-site, especially since I spent most of my stay talking to brewer and co-owner Jamie Robinson. Short, terse notes, maybe? A photo? It slipped my mind, totally. I'll try to do that in the future, but at the time, it was far more important to have a conversation.

I was told they had the regular four, plus this new brown ale, available in growlers. I'm sure I've covered the standard house flavors, so here we are with The Imposter. (I completely forgot to quiz Jamie about the meaning of the name. Let's let it linger as a mystery.)

A solid brown hue, with bright, shining crimson highlights, with a lush brown head that drifts down to a tight ring.

Aroma: malty, slightly sweet, fairly even-tempered and mild-mannered.

Taste: A smooth, malty affair, through and through. Medium-bodied. Some cocoa notes here, slightly nutty, lightly chocolatey, lingering sweetness meets just enough hop bitterness to keep balance. Easy-drinking, and favorably flavored. A fine sessioner, for sure.

(I'd love to share the official description, but it's missing from the website.)

Ain't nothing wrong with it. It's beer, and I can drink it.

No comments: