Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lift Bridge Silhouette Barrel Aged Imperial Stout


Lift Bridge Silhouette Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. 2014. Bottle Number 239. 750 ml. 1 Pint, 9.4 fluid ounces. Alc. 10% by Volume. Aged in bourbon barrels. Brewed and bottled by Lift Bridge Brewing Company in Stillwater, MN, USA. "The Cold War is over. Serve at 55-60. Degrees. (I still don't know the key for that one.) I will skip the the gobbledygook until later.

(Note: this is one of those very rare occasions when I don't have a photo of the beer I consumed to go along with the notes. I plugged in the iPod touch that use to take them and found nothing. How is this possible? It's part of my regular routine, I never forget to take the pictures. Could I have accidentally deleted them somehow? That's even less likely. Perhaps I was just so excited to drink the beer that I forgot to take that essential early step in my ritual. So, once I realized there were no photos, I fished the empty bottle out of the recycling, and posed it next to the as yet un-washed glass I drank it from. That's not even the true beer in there, I followed Silhouette with another bottle.


I bought this two weeks ago at the brewery. Wish I had another to save and age and savor in the future, but this is the one, and I'm drinking it now. (I'd actually never even heard of this beer, must have been sleeping or something when it was released last year.)

Solid blackness in this one (the darkest beer I've had from this brewery), with a rich, roast tan head that starts big, slims down and stays awhile.

Aroma leaps out and spills the bourbon all over the place. Additional notes of charcoal, molasses, caramel, toffee, dark fruit, …vanilla. Always vanilla. And I like it.

Taste: Ah, mmm, and yeah, huh. Deepness and richness in abundance. This has got everything it needs and it lasts and lasts. Immensely indulgent. Chocolate and espresso and everything dark and deep and delicious. MMM, I'll say it again. And what else? Licorice. We call it anise sometimes. And all those other things.

It's a thing of hugeness and a richness and wonderfully rewarding to the drinker. this is all relative. I am loving this and this is not a chore at all, it is a delight. If you want to read about a chore, check my review of Stone's Crime and Punishment. Yikes, talk about trial and error!

Hey, let's read the gobbledygook. "Silhouette is as deep and dark as the Northern woods. It's brewed in the style of an Imperial Stout. Aromas of coffee, chocolate, molasses and prune meld with a unique dark roasted character. . The beer is complex, rich and full bodied. It's wild spirit will warm the senses, illuminate the soul, and grow into a traditional favorite…no matter what season."

No comments: