Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sierra Nevada Nooner IPA


As I continue to investigate the sampler pack offerings at my local liquor dealer, I strive to find the options that best fit two needs of mine: value, and yield. Value, of course, refers to how much money would I save, how cheap are they, what kind of a deal am I getting. For yield, I'm considering how many new beers I get out of the package, how much farther am I along in my goal of trying all the new beers I can.

I went into the store thinking I was going to pick up a 12-pack that held only two beers I'd never had, and two that I like, one more than the other. It was priced at $15.99. Not a bad value, considering the quality, but could there be better value, higher yield?

And then my eyes beheld something I'd not yet encountered, the Sierra Nevada 4-IPA Variety Pack, featuring 3 IPAs from SN that I hadn't even heard of, and probably would not reach for immediately if I were forced to get it in a 6-pack. And the value? $11.99. Well, the deal is sealed, isn't it?

The Torpedo Extra IPA is in this one, which I may have entered here already, and the others include a Black IPA, a White IPA, and a session IPA, all the IPAs of the rainbow! So, let's get started with the first one, Nooner IPA, brewed and bottled by Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Chico, CA & Mills River, NC. Packaged on 1/22/14. Alc. 4.8% by Vol.

Clear and golden-hued, active carbonation, large and sturdy inch-high head, bright and white, taking it's sweet time drifting down, leaving lace.

Aroma: spills out of the glass, vibrant tropical fruit and citrus, piney notes just below.  Lovely stuff.

Taste: Fresh, fierce and powerful on the palate. This IPA loads the mouth with a pleasantly bitter, pungently citric hop attack, and the malt body is light and crisp, the alcohol level low for easy drinking. I could put back a half dozen in a night, if I had to. Persistently pleasing flavor, makes a session IPA done right.

What's the official word: "Nooner IPA is light in body but big in hop flavor. This session IPA delivers a huge dose of citrusy and grapefruit hop character from the use of whole-cone American hops." that's from the box. From the label: "There's no better way to start a lazy afternoon than with a group of friends and a few beers. Nooner IPA is a session beer that's light in body yet big in hop flavor…blah, blah, blah…same stuff…"

No comments: