Sunday, February 23, 2014

Weihenstephaner Korbinian Doppelbock

What? I haven't gotten around to anything from Weihenstephaner, the world's oldest brewery? What the--??? Come on! Let's take care of that right away. But, first...

My computer problems only got worse. Instead of random errors, I was unable to turn on the damned  computer. I bought some beers Friday, and when I brought them home I chose to drink the one that I'd already written about, long ago. Took the photo, then turned on my 10-year old eMac that I keep around just because. I plug in my iPod, which it doesn't recognize, though it does acknowledge it's camera, and proceeds to download all the photos, getting around the the Korbinian about 800 pics and an hour later. I tried to import it to a flash drive, and that device went unrecognized, too. But not an external hard-drive. So is this what my beer reviewing will be until I get the Mac Book Pro fixed, writing and importing photos on the 2004 dinosaur, putting them into the hard-drive, then transporting it elsewhere? Some one else's computer? The library? Well, if I have to, I guess...

A quick trip to the Apple Store, problem found, part replaced, everything's fixed and I'm only $18 poorer. Good to know that I've got a back-up plan, though, eh?

So, on to notes on Korbinian Doppelbock from July, 2003: (with exclamation marks edited out)
Weihenstephaner Korbinian Doppelbock,
Brewed and bottled by Bayerische Staatsbrauwerei, Freising, Germany.
7.4% ABV. 16 IBU.


Clear, dark brown color, and a big, bursting pinkish brown head.

Nose is a complete and utter gas. Far-flung aromatics: spices and fruit, sour cherries, grapes, sweet, rich,and invigorating.

Lush mouthfeel, luxuriating, the cares of the world drift away, or they'd better, for there's nothing that should interfere with the enjoyment of this phenomenol brew..hangs heavily in the mouth, and you want to extend any invitation and elongate it's stay, so welcome is this delicious presence in the mouth...hedonistic, even...

Medium body, delicate and delicious finish, stong malt presence. Drinks down a bit rummy, a trifle winish. Very complex and extraordinarily tasty. This one washes over you and makes it all better, like a hot bath.
One of the best doppelbocks on Earth, hands down.
-----------------------------

Almost 11 years on, was I warranted to spew such exaggerated praise? I think so.

No comments: