Wednesday, February 19, 2014

New Belgium Snapshot Wheat


New Belgium Snapshot Wheat Beer. Alc 5% by Vol. Brewed and canned by New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, CO, U.S.A. Wheat beer brewed with spices

highly hazed, pale yellow hue, large white head, drifts down and leaves lace.

Aroma: Big spice right off, coriander, orange peel. Are they going for a witbier style? Definitely more in line with that than a heft wizen, and certainly more spiced, and less hopped than an "American wheat ale."

Tasting it: Mild, smooth, and slightly spicy. Fruit plays the main role in the flavor, with spice in a cameo. Wheat carries it though. Especially quaffable, and delightfully drinkable. Lean bodied, crisp and quenching.

I purchased this in a 12 pack "folly" sampler box of cans, which is a habit I'm starting to form. There are 6 beers in it that I've had before, 3 Ranger and 3 Fat Tire, and I like one, and don't despise the other, completely. The ones I hadn't had were this and Shift, the lager. So, 2 more notches in the review belt, plus some regular drinking beers for when it's time for that.

There's still someone there writing copy that I just can't stand. This appears on the packaging: "Folly is brewing the beer we love. Folly Pack is bring 4 of those beers together for you to love. This tasty arrangement gives us the opportunity to introduce new beers--like our new wheat beer, Snapshot--and revive old favs. {"favs"? Not "faves"? And whenever I write "favs", the auto-correct wants to turn it into "fags."} And, it gives you the opportunity to sample our different beers with your peers and hide the ones you hold dear."

Agh!! Too much terrible rhyming! I know I shouldn't cast stones, because I'm guilty of putting the phrase "For those who favor flavor" on Surly cans, but that's too much!

No comments: