Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Summit Maibock (yes, in February)

Summit Maibock. German-style blonde bock lager. Formerly, long, long ago, known as Haimertingen Maibock, named for the German town that provided some of Summit's brewing equipment.

Last month, I revisited Summit's India Pale Ale, now re-branded as True Brit IPA, and made a vow to tighten my focus on the local scene, and make a greater effort to enter local beers that haven't made it on the blog yet. Two of Summit's offerings were missing, and one was taken care of last week, the Great Northern Porter. The other was Maibock, and I promised to pick one up when it's season arrived.

Recently, I spoke to a Summit employee about their new seasonal Frostline Rye, as I tried it for the first time. He remarked that it's place in their schedule meant that the maibock would now actually be released much closer to actual May.

So, today I entered my local packaged beer store with the express intention of taking home a six-pack of Frostline Rye for drinking, enjoying, and note-taking. Well, what do I see but the Spring Seasonal 12-pack, featuring 3 bottles each of EPA, IPA, Porter, and Maibock, all in the new, stylish "trade dress." (Which I've finally warmed up to…I've gotten over it's lack of black lines.) On the box, you will observe from the picture, the phrase "spring is in the air."

Not so, as we know. We're lucky to have temps in the double digits, some days. Looking out the window, we see nothing but snow banks, bare tree branches, and dark skies. Spring is a faraway dream, here in the frozen north. April would be a good time for this beer, months and months away. May is a fantasy that trips deliriously in my mind. This beer will be wonderful then. For now, it's a tease. And a treat. Here are some notes from ….way back in March of 2003.



In the history of my drinking life, I began as a beer-avoiding wine snob who somehow transformed into an English ale/ Irish stout snob. It was my introduction to the Summit Brewing company, our local standard, that brought that crumbling down, and I soon became aware of all that American brewers, as well as the rest of the world, had to offer. The Summit Maibock was my introduction to the style, and a certain sentimental attachment persists.

But, the beer! Color is a clear, pale caramel, and the smallish head is a perfect bone white.

Aroma is sweet at first, buttery, even honeyish, but crisp, clean, and still a little dry, with whiffs of straw.

On the palate, very mild, mellow and smooth. Hops are fairly minimal,and the firm malt has a delicous caramel character. Very easy to drink, light in body, but with enough flavor to make it fun. Sweetness starts to teeter into cloying, though. Hops reemerge throughout the finish to make things interesting.

All in all, a tasty, satisfying springtime tradition, although I, too, regret the change in name that came with these new labels.
I so enjoyed hearing people say "Haimertingen".

No comments: