Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Bell's Uranus The Magician

I haven't been on top of this Bell's Planets series as well as I wish I had been. But I don't haunt the stores with much frequency or regularity, either. If I don't need any beer, I don't go shopping. Which was how I fall out of the loop on stuff like this. I've had Mercury, Venus and Mars, but missed out on Saturn and  Jupiter, and now finally I am about to taste Uranus. And then Neptune. (What did you think there should have been a joke back there? I didn't.)

So, here we are, planet # 7. Big gas giant. Discovered in 1787 by William Herschel. Has five moons, Miranda, Puck, Oberon, Ariel, Titania. Coldest of all the planets. I'd like to visit, from a distance, but wouldn't want to live there.

And Bell's Uranus The Magician, for the sixth movement in Gustav Holst's Planets symphony, is a Black Double  India Pale Ale. 9.5% by Vol. Let's drink it.

Fully ebon, with a vast, long-lived tan head, looking proud and beautiful.

Aroma: malty, hoppy, sweet, smooth, complete and bold. This is so many things, blended marvelously into one. Mmm!

In the mouth: Chocolate meets grass, hoppy bite plus malty sweet and succulent. Big, rich, chewy. Bold, full, large in body and flavor, with a persistent hoppy bite. Never too bitter, though, Like the musical piece, it's bombastic, almost garish and a little bit loud, but never less than harmonizing and never far from melodic. Spills over in places, but mostly keeps it together and drives it's message home. Damnably delicious, and deceptively strong.

As you can probably tell, I've fixed the problem mentioned in the previous reviews from the Planets series, and I actually am listening to Holst as I drink the beer. This is the 1998 recording by the Atlanta Orchestra, conducted by Yoel Levy. Got it from my local library. Lord love the library.
(Or, you can click this link, and watch this gent explain it for you. If you wish to hear, without his help, I'm sure you'll find a way.

No comments: