Sunday, March 6, 2016

Minnesota Breweries One by One #18: Grand Rounds Brewpub, Rochester, with Nelson IPA

Grand Round Brewpub logo, seen through a window.
As I said in the Lupine Brewing post, the fourth brewery of the day in a full day of brewery visits might get the short end of the stick. I may not be firing on all cylinders. Things that I try to include in every visit are forgotten, passed over,
Once again, growlers from other breweries on display.
neglected. We're left with half-remembrances and vagueness.  Handwritten notes are illegible and illogical.
Perhaps if I'd written it up sooner there may be more accuracy, but I am doing these in order, and for whatever reason, two weeks later, I'm finally putting the notes in on Grand Rounds Brewpub  in Rochester. Let's get to it.

View from my barstool.
Remember where we were last, and the urgent need to get good beer down the gullet and wash out the taste of the execrable offerings at our previous visit. We travelled to 2 SouthWest 3rd Street in downtown Rochester and the Grand Rounds Brewpub. It did not open until 4 pm, which necessarily made it our last stop of the day. We settled into the bar, Jason, Scott, and I, waiting for Dan who had punched to wrong name into his GPS. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was good. The atmosphere warm and clean and classy. This is probably a great lunch location in DT Rochester, if you're into the beer or not. And beers? They were good. I took a crappy photo of the menu, and the current listing on line is regrettably accurate, so I can't remember what was on tap that day. A kolsch, some IPAs, a stout, a Scotch. Sounds about right.
Nelson IPA in it's natural habitat.

Blood Orange IPA.
As for me, I had a Nelson IPA, so nice I took home a crowler, notes coming soon (at the bottom of the post). Followed that with a Blood Orange IPA, a version of their Hop Bollocks IPA infused with blood oranges, naturally. I wrote the following: "tart, rich, pungent, powerful." This is why four breweries in a day can be a bit much. The most important thing of the moment was that we have good beer passed down our throats and could say to one and all that you can count on this brewery to deliver.


And it did. And this point I was all beer-ed out, and it was time to go. My memories are, I admit, very fuzzy, and my attempts at photography are lacking at this stop (it was getting dark, and I was not at my highest power, shall we say), but to answer the question "should I drink there?" the answer is yes. Go back and drink the rest of their beers for me, and tell me how they were. I want to know. I'd love to go back again and have some more. Enjoy your three good breweries, Rochester.

And now, notes on the crowler of Nelson IPA, consumed some days after purchasing:

Lightly hazy, bright amber/golden hue, slim white head.

Beautifully fruity/hoppy nose. Some citrus, mixed with apple, grape, stone fruits. Mild bitterness.


In the mouth: Smooth and hoppy. Juicy malt. Excellent balance. Sweet and hoppy. Drinkable as heck. Tasty? Yeah. Good beer, and I'm drinking it. I like this.

Some additional gobbledygook from the website: Stats:  7.5% abv
70 IBUs

Simcoe hops added at the start of the boil for bitterness, late hop additions of Mosaic and Nelson-Sauvin hops to provide unique grapefruity and white wine overtones.

No comments: