Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Abbaye Val Dieu Cuvee 800

I haven't done a true Belgian ale here in the Nib in a while, and that's a shame. Partly because my focus has been turned to the local scene, and partly because I can't find a lot of affordable new ones. This bottle was fairly priced, and one I knew I was going to like, having had it before. That's a story I'm going to leave until the end.

What we have here, The Cuvee Speciale 800 Ans, the anniversary beer for the Abbaye Val Dieu, was released late last year, a Belgian blonde ale, 5.5% ABV. Brasserie de l'abbaye Val Dieu, Aubel, Belgium. "Let's celebrate this historic event with a beer brewed in the cisterian abbey of Val-Dieu. Rich in authentic taste, roundness and complexity, this beer also offers a subtle touch of hops. Unleash the art of beer craftsmanship and enjoy this Belgian-brewed beer. Limited edition." (Update: It's coming back.)
So, yeah, let's. Here are my notes:

Lightly clouded, bright golden, slimmed ivory head, looking very lovely.

In the nose: sharp and shimmering, alert and lively, brimming with the elegant promise of Belgian yeast and hops. Stunningly gorgeous.

In the mouth: Sparkling. Citrusy-y. Sunshine. Alive. Nothing short of wonderful. Lush malt, vibrant yeast character, and transcendent flavor. Not shy of saying it, this is one of those beers. Lifts up and separates from the common. Impossible to put into words. Neither sweet nor bitter, nor sour. Flat out wonderful.

Really. Honestly, Find a bottle yourself. (They're out there, believe me, despite the amazing quality, these didn't fly off the shelves.) If you put this past your lips and aren't lifted into realms sublime, well, buster, you and me don't see eye to eye, see? Citrus and spice and everything nice, little bits of angel dust, plus unicorn sweat and dragon wings. Gossamer fairy fuzz, smurf spittle, gnome niblets, ....all the good stuff.

I first had this one early this year when I had a keg of it at Acadia. I bought it late last year at the urging of my sales rep from the distributor, who also sold it on the basis of those gorgeous chalices you see above. I didn't tap it until early this year, and it was a bit of a hard sell, but only to those who are not devoted followers of Belgian ales. The price was too high for a "boring blonde" of "only" 5.5% ABV. Far too many people look at a high price point (based, of course, on a high cost for the keg), see a medium-range alcohol level and assume that they aren't getting "bang for the buck". If the only draw is a beautiful flavor, not a big buzz, they feel their money isn't well spent. It's too bad.

I started seeing this beer in bottles, and eventually picked one up, holding on to it until the other night. I needed to have enough time to take proper notes on it. Those of you who have stuck it out and read this far, get this beer if you see it. It's well worth the price.

No comments: