Sunday, October 22, 2017

Firestone Walker XX

Firestone Walker XX. A blend of barrel-aged beers. Firestone Walker Brewery, Pasa Robles, California. 13% ABV.

Full-on darkness, extra black, with a thin, brown ring of foam up above.

In the nose: bourbon barrel richness. Vanilla, molasses, dark rum deliciousness. Cherries, chocolate, and a hint of spice.

In the mouth: Mmm. Big, sweet, vast, deep, and luxurious. I still haven't figured out what the base beer is on this one. Something strong. I will take to Google to find the answer. Huh. It's blend of barrel aged beers. 40% bourbon barrel Parabola RIS, 20% bourbon/brandy barrel barley-wine (Stickee Monkey), 17.5% Velvet Merkin Bourbon barrel oatmeal stout, 12.5% Bravo bourbon barrel imperial brown ale, and 10% Helldorado bourbon barrel blonde barley-wine. Oh, my. It's a wide one.

I've only had one of those base beers before. They're terrific together.

My notes did not go as far as I'd wanted them to. This one just kind of knocked me out. Thanks to Chris for the bottle. I only had to give him one of my last remaining Surly Two posters. It was worth it.


No comments: