Monday, October 2, 2017

Montgomery Hop Junkies Volume 1

Montgomery Hop Junkies Volume. 1 Double India Pale Ale. 9.1% ABV. 110 IBU. Brewed and bottled by Montgomery Brewing, Montgomery, MN.

Lightly hazed, deep golden hue, with crimson edges, slim, but lasting ivory froth atop.

In the nose: Citric fruit notes, caramel malt tones, piney, earthy. Interesting.

In the mouth: More malt, more hops, moderate bitterness. But, wait, moderate? With 110 IBUs? Well, yeah. Malty, spicy, earthy, and hoppy, too. And here comes the booze.

It's pretty nice. But not quite what I like. Not bad, but not ....great. Not really what I look for in a double IPA.

This was a tough one for me to write. I like the brewery, but I don't like this beer. I have to go ahead and publish it, though, to lay out the evidence against those people who say that I like everything.

Just because we're small doesn't mean we don't brew big. Volume 1 comes on strong. A classic with notes of citrus, pine, and spice. It's the beginning of our series of small batch IPAs. 

No comments: