Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier

Okay. I'm going to open, drink and review this bottle of German Oktoberfestbier that I received as a sample well over three, maybe even four months ago, back when it was in season. And I will not beat myself up over not doing so sooner. Like, when it was in season. It just won't be discussed. Okay? Let's go.

Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier. 6.3 % ABV. 26 IBU. Staatliches Hofbräuhaus München, München, Deutschland. (Munich, Germany).

Clear, bright golden color, slim ivory head.

In the nose: Classic, noble hops and grainy malt. Clean and cool.

In the mouth: Wet, warm, sweet and lovely. Gritty, grainy malt texture takes control, moderate hop bitterness keeps the lid on malt. Ends on the side of dry. Classic festbier style. Exceptionally smooth and likable. I'll say it again: tasty.

Good old Bavarian festbier, and you can drink it. Fun fact: You may think from my surname that I'm Irish. Only 25%, actually. The rest is German and Swiss, and maybe a little etcetera in there, too. But, I like the beers of Ireland and Germany equally. And everywhere else's. You know the deal: I like beer. It makes me a jolly good fellow. Someday, I've got to go there. It's in the ol' bucket list.


The Munich Beer Festival, or Oktoberfest, is an event of superlatives - it’s the largest popular festival in the world, staging in the beer metropolis of Munich. Millions of visitors from all over the world flock along every year to enjoy its very special atmosphere. For this occasion, Hofbräu brews a rich, full-bodied beer which goes down ideally with traditional Bavarian cuisine. With its deliciously bitter taste and alcoholic content of 6.3% volume, Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier is as special as the Beer Festival itself.

No comments: