Thursday, January 24, 2019

Venn Batch 131 Denali Brut Double IPA

Venn Batch 131 Denali Brut Double IPA. 8.1 % ABV. 40 IBU. Venn Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Mostly clear, with a slight haze, bright golden color, slim white head.

In the nose: Mellow, but potent. Bold citrus hop presence in the aroma. Fruit flavors emerge, but remain far from sweet, sticking to the dry side.

In the mouth: Big hop bitterness bangs it off, with effervescence rushing to the fore. Sparkling and dry. Bone dry. Fruity, bitter, and nearly brittle. And then the alcohol comes ripping through. I could use more hop flavor, more malt flavor, and a little less "dry."

As an IPA fan, I'm liking this. As a double IPA fan, I'm loving this. As not a Brut IPA fan, I'm a little iffy on it.

I still firmly believe that nobody wants Brut IPAs, and I can't figure out how breweries have gotten hornswoggled into making them.

Pineapple, coconut, dry. A drier-than-water Double IPA featuring Denali hops.

Malts: Extra Pale Pilsner, Rice Syrup Solids

Hops: Denali (United States)

Yeast: American Ale 

No comments: