Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Sisyphus Hat Trick Imperial Stout

Sisyphus Hat Trick Imperial Stout. Rum, whiskey, and bourbon barrel aged Stout. 10.5 % ABV. 60 IBU. Bottled 11/20/18. Sisyphus Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.


Utter and abject darkness. Slim cocoa-tinged head atop.

In the nose: Bourbon hits first, strong, dark, malty, vanilla and cherry. Ridiculously rich and chocolatey. Definitely decadent. Whole lot o' cocoa going on.

In the mouth: Whoa. Whoa-oh, oh, oh, oh. Chewy chocolate. Deep darkness, massive malt. I love alliteration and I can't stop myself. Bourbon barrel effects are in full effect. Smothers over the contributions of the rum, and straight whiskey? A bit.

Caramel, burnt toffee, a touch of anise, some notes of dark fruit. I'm a sucker for this stuff, and I think it's one of Sisyphus' finest creations. I shared one bottle with the family at Christmas, and cracked this  one open to take notes. I'll be back for more, to stick in the closet for saving and cellaring.

It's hot and thick and humungous. And I like every lick of it.

rum, whiskey, and bourbon... OH MY! This imperial stout is aged in three different barrels for a year and then blended together! Thats a hat trick baby!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Under the sea the old fish eat the young fish. Up here the young fish teach the old fish. I know, I know. Whoa. Whoa-oh, oh, oh, oh.