Thursday, January 3, 2019

Summit Oatmeal Stout

Summit Oatmeal Stout. 5.2 % ABV. 41 IBU. Summit Brewing Company, St. Paul, MN.

Summit Oatmeal Stout? Half of you are saying to me: Hasn't that been around forever? And half of you are all like, "Summit makes an Oatmeal Stout?" Yes, they've been making it since 2004, and it's still draft only. Way back then, I wanted to carry it on tap at my old place, The Blue Nile, but I'd gotten rid of our nitro equipment, and you can't pour this stuff without it. Once I was in charge of ordering beers for Acadia, it was one of my first acts, to bring this on and keep it on.

So, after all the years, why hasn't it appeared here in the Nib? My lack of interest in taking notes at the bar, I guess. I used to do it more often at the Nile, but it's not quite the same, for various reasons. However, it appears that I already have taken notes on it, way back in June of 2004, and 14 1/2 years later, I think they stand. So, notes from my first taste at the brewery, going into the books:

Sampled on draft at the brewery, earlier this afternoon, following my first tour of the facility.
A pint enjoyed in early 2019, to accompany
my notes from 2004. 

A lovely dark brown, nearly black color, complete cascading tan nitro-pour action, before finally settling.

Nose is an excelllent outlay of roastiness, very alert and bitter. I drank this in deep before imbibing. Just right for an OS.

Taste is smooth and creamy, with excellent texture, full body, and a palpable oily, almost slick feel. Cocoa and coffee blended seemlessly. Goes down with little effort, but leaves the palate pleased, from a significant amount of flavor.

I followed the first glass with a pour of the Porter, an old favorite, and the difference is amazing, though they're both nice examples of their style.
Very glad Summit tackled this, and did it so well, and I'm anxiously awaiting it in bottles...by winter, maybe?
Please, Summit?

And, nearly 15 years later, they still haven't bottled or canned it, despite the improvements in nitro can/bottle technology. This is from the brewery that announced it was dropping the beloved Winter Ale last year, then caved and brought it back the next season due to public outcry. Maybe we're not outcrying enough for this. Let's get outcrying, people!

A Taste You Won’t Find Just Anywhere.
While its cascading rich black color will be familiar to Stout enthusiasts, ours is decidedly different. It’s made with naked oats from the UK, for one. Smooth and slightly sweet, with hints of coffee, caramel and chocolate, Summit Oatmeal Stout is served with a Nitrogen/CO2 mix and sold exclusively on draft in select places.

BEER FACTS
Brewed Year-Round
Original Gravity: 13.3° P
Alcohol by Volume: 5.2%
Color, (deg. L.): Pitch black, 80° L
IBUs: 41
Malts Utilized: 2-Row Pale, Caramel, Oats, Crystal, Roasted Barley, Chocolate
Hops Utilized: Northern Brewer, Pilgrim, Fuggle
Yeast: Ale

Established: 2004

No comments: