Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Town Hall Foolish Quadrupel Ale

Town Hall Foolish Belgian Quadrupel Ale. 10% ABV. 17 IBU. Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery, Minneapolis, MN.

So, I bought this growler after making sure that I hadn't already done a review previously. Foolish Angel, the beer aged in Angel's Share whiskey barrels? Yes. Foolish Red, the beer aged in red wine barrels? You bet. But, the beer on it's own? Surprisingly, no. Just wasn't there when the growlers were available. Well, my luck changed the other day, so here we go, at last.

Clear, deep Burgundy hue, slim white-ish head.

In the nose: Huge malt sweetness from the get-go. Vanilla, dark fruit, rich & raisin-y. Candi sugar and plums. Really hitting the right notes for a Belgian quad. Sweet and lovely.

In the mouth: Pow! And Mmmm. A fierce entrance leads to lush and smooth and malty deliciousness. Bubblegum meets dark fruit, rum, rich malt and sugar-coated candies. A sweet, late-night treat. Perfect nightcap.

This is so delightful. I wish I were sharing it with friends. But then, I couldn't write this. And where would we be then? I should always buy two of of everything awesome. But, I can't afford that. I got to get a GoFund Me going. Help me buy beer, right? That'll work.

Wait! Stop the presses! I have reviewed this beer before, when it was first released in 2006!
Here are my notes from nearly 13 years ago:

Hazed coppery orange color, not as dark as I was expecting, with a slim ring of foam that quickly vanishes.

Deep, fruity aroma, wide open, starting out a bit exotic and wild, a mite musty, then spices speak up, peppers and oranges in a bewitching blend....

Taste: sweet up front, then a mellow complexity unfolds, a bit plummy, cherries, vinous, tangy...big malt, no real hop presence...Richness with every new sip, very fresh and brimming with flavor, primarily of fruit, with some wicked spices kicking it up here and there...Big body, with a long, lightly sweet finish.

A very likable brew. With time, you start to notice the higher abv, but until then it drinks down like a dream. It is so plump and delicious, though, with ever-revealing delights inside, you will take your time with it. You'd better...

as I get near the end of my first glass, I'm feeling more similarities to some of my favorites, like des Rocs, the Trappists, de Dolle, etcetera...I'm liking this a lot!

No comments: