Sunday, January 13, 2019

Fair State FSB 2018

Fair State FSB. FSB for Fair State Brewing, as well as the pre-cursor to the KGB. Russian Imperial Stout. 13.9% ABV. 70 IBU. Fair State Brewing, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota.

Full-on ebony hue, here, with a swiftly disappearing brown head on it.

In the nose: Rich dark malts, cocoa, anise, espresso. Quite deep. Cavernous. Char, ash, nice.

In the mouth: Darkness reigns supreme. Richness, deepness, chocolatey-ness. Skirts shy of the sweet. Definitely on the dry side. And deeply satisfying. So much rich and thick and decadently delicious. Whoa. This one has everything. Yu-u-um, a dum, dum.

So good. So very good. So many ways the epitome of the very model of a major imperial stout. All the heat, all the action, and everything we need is going on.

As you can see, I'm fond of this. It boggles the mind that it hasn't had an entry here yet. It's been written about once before, in this post, the first time I tried it. I've served it on tap at Acadia in years past. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how I never picked up a bottle or a can before? Did I pass it up merely because I'd tried it before?

(Reading the link provided above shows that I answered that very question nearly 3 years ago. I passed on bottles because I already ordered the keg, and presumed that I'd take notes then. No such thing happened. And I continued to pass on bottles when I saw them, fool that I am.)

Well, don't you pass it up. This is one of the best imperial stouts made around these parts.

The 2018 version of our yearly Imperial Stout is a massive beer infused with orange zest and vanilla. Brewed with oats and an amalgamation of our favorite dark and roasted malts., its just the thing to start out your holiday dessert plans. 

No comments: