Thursday, February 4, 2021

Ayinger Ur-weisse Authentic Bavarian Dunkel Weisse

Ayinger Ur-weisse Authentic Bavarian Dunkel Weisse.


5.8 % ABV, 13 IBU. Ayinger Privatbrauwerei, Aying, Bavaria, Germany. 

So, here I am trying to close the loop as best as I can on this classic Bavarian brewery, and I inevitably get myself a case of glassware envy. Why don't I have any Ayinger glasses? Probably because I never sold a lot of it, in my career in bars, and never encountered any elsewhere. I don't remember ever tapping a keg of their stuff, except for Celebrator, four years ago at Acadia. I blame not my self for this, of course, but whoever had the job of selling it to me back then. Maybe if I stocked bottles of Celebrator and persisted enough, they'd have given me some. Alas, no Ayinger, especially no Celebrator glasses in my collection, so I went on eBay. Can't find any for less than $20, with an extra $20 shipping. But, I want it, though, I want it! I don't need it, but I want it. 

And now it is time to revisit the Dunkel Weisse, and I'm going to pour it into a SurlyFest glass, because. And I am going to recycle old notes, this time, looking back on what I wrote in August of 2005, over fifteen years ago: 

///

Lovely hazed magenta, soft cocoa, with a lovely, light layer of foam atop. Excellent look for the style.

Aroma: Ahhhh! this is dunkel weizen! Clove is huge, and banana behind it, with traces of grapes and melons and berries, too...a beautiful mix, really, and the sort of thing you only find in beers of this kind. Reminds me of why I like the style so much. Masterful.

Taste: mmmm...there's a lot to talk about...bubblegum, banana, spices, clove, dark fruits, ...but still quaffably refreshing!

An excellently sessionable brew, you can take several in all night long, 

classic representation of the style. 

Tasty, and quenching...gotta love it! 

Lightish body, lightly spicy finish, rich and delicious.

Loveable mouthfeel, lushly carbonated, great flavor, wondrous drinkability. Class act, all the way.

Yum.

///

And, all these years later, I might even add...a dum dum. 

“The union of wheaty freshness and dark malt often produces a fullness of taste and complexity”, explains the world-famous English beer commentator Michael Jackson.

This also applies to the Ayinger Urweisse, which is a strong amber-colored, yeast cloudy wheat beer. The beer is strong with the first taste and malty in aroma. The top-fermented, yeasty taste sensation is unmistakable. This beer is rich in sparkle and has just a touch of a special bitter quality. The fruity, malty mild aroma will have you won you over immediately!

No comments: