Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Oliphant Rum Barrel Aged Spooky Squishy


Oliphant Rum Barrel Aged Spooky Squishy. Fruited Sour. 

5 % ABV, Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI. 

Dear  friends, Before I begin my notes on this beer, let me address the 900 pound elephant in the room. The picture at left could be better. The glass could have been a lot cleaner. I should have used a cleaner wash cloth when washing it, and in a thoroughly scrubbed sink, completely cleaned after doing dirtier dishes. There is no excuse for this. I goofed up. Please do not direct these pictures to the Dirty Glass Mafia, do not scold me on Twitter, know that I see my faults and will strive to do better, and I am ashamed. Lower your weapons, put down your pitchforks, let me repair my errors and do better next time. Let us move on from here. Also, don't do that shit to any one else. They learn on their own time. Dragging people through the dirt doesn't do anything to educate. 

On to the beer: 

Lightly clouded, deep amber appearance, slim white head. 

In the nose: Apple and spice comes first, followed by rum & alcoholic heat. Well-rounded, so far. 

In the mouth: Starts sweet, then sour, and all the while fruity. Rum barrel comes creeping up afterward, but not really enough to make a difference. Spicy and delicious, nonetheless. I feel that this should have been in the barrel longer, picked up more character. It's coming up short in that department. The base beer provides the goods, though, with just a touch of that rum barrel. I'm still enjoying it. It's still some good squishy.

Barrel-Aged Apple & Spices Sour Ale w/ sea salt, vanilla, & lactose.

No comments: