Sunday, February 7, 2021

Hitachino Nest White Ale

Hitachino Nest White Ale.


5.5 % ABV, Kiuchi Brewery, Naka-shi, Ibaraki, Japan. 

This blog has only three Japanese beers within it, yet so far. Four years ago was the last one, a can of Sapporo Black given to me as a sample. And before that, a can of Kirin Ichiban, and before that, Angry Boy Brown Ale from Baird, one of the few Japanese craft breweries available domestically, as far as I know. That's it. And nothing yet so far from one of the other better known Japanese craft breweries, Kiuchi, who market their beers as Hitachino Nest. Looking at BeerAdvocate.com, I've reviewed nine of their beers over there, and nothing here since. I can't tell you how many of their beers are still imported here, but there are just two available at the store where I currently work. One, really. This bottle that I purchased was the last one, until we get more. 

So, now we will drink a Belgian-style beer from a Japanese brewery, and I will share notes from 2006, which oddly enough, are not from a bottle, but from when I had it on tap at the Blue Nile. Which makes me wonder, did I have it on tap before I ever saw the bottles? Things get fuzzy after all these years. 

So, here are those notes from September, 2006: 

Highly hazed and golden-toned, a thin layer of bone white foam above, eventually narrowing down.

Lovely aromatics, a twist of lemon, hint of orange, and beautiful spices. I'd always assumed coriander, but recent research revealed to me they also use nutmeg in here. It works well.

Taste: light bodied, but sublime drinkability. Just enough flavor to keep the tongue happy. Zesty and refreshing. Minor hops, slight bitterness, a touch of sour, and a dash of sweet. 

Moderate carbonation, not too spritzy, just mellow enough.

Never dreamed I'd have a Japanese Belgian wit on tap, but, hey, crazier stuff has happened.

And look at that, I still have the glass the distributor gave me, fourteen and a half years later. 

This White Ale is brewed with wheat malt, and flavored with coriander, orange peel and nutmeg. Please enjoy the soft and flavorful taste.




No comments: