Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Junkyard Nectar-tron New England Style IPA with Citra and Nectaron hops

Junkyard Nectar-tron New England Style IPA with Citra and Nectaron hops.

6.6 % ABV. Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN. 


Ever-so hazy, bright yellow hue, large and lasting pure white head. Looking great. 

In the nose: The Citra. the citrus, the fuzz. I don't know from "nectaron". 

In the mouth: From the kick, it's a juicy one, and a fuzzy one. Some bitterness, but mostly low-key, mild, moderate, slim malt, but heavy on the citrus. Fruity all the way. Lemon and orange and grapefruit. Highly diggable. 

I like this character on the label. He's reminding me of my Micronauts toys from my childhood, and the accompanying Marvel comics. 

Sometimes I turn to Untappd for the description of the beers. This is all they give: New England Style IPA with Citra and Nectaron Hops. 

But, there's more on the label. Before I type that out, I'm going to see if it's on their website, so I can cut and paste. Huh, it's gone. Maybe it's on BA. Nope, it's not even on there. Jeez, you turn your back on a website for a decade, and no one rises up to cover the database. sigh. I'll get my glasses on...

We managed to procure a small quantity of the new "nectaron" hop variety out of New Zealand. This IPA highlights the citrus and passionfruit flavors of this exotic new hop variety. (Don't they mean "varietal"? It can't be a variety if it's one thing.)

This beer is everywhere you want to be. Ain't that right, JubJub? 

As I said, it's expertly diggable, and I am indeed digging it. Close observers of this blog may have noted that I have been reviewing more Junkyard beers than ever, due to my easy access to them these days. For reasons we still haven't figured out, they haven't been flying off the shelves like they used to, and we continue to stock all the new stuff. Last week was the first that I've worked at this retail location, that I can remember, where we didn't get new stuff. Maybe that's because as of last week we had 17 different Junkyard beers. 17! As of today, we're down to 10. And I tend to go with the IPAs first, stouts second, and the sours will come in last. Marshmallow beers way last. So, as they continue to supply us with IPAs, that's what I'll continue to drink. If we run out of IPAs, I'll take home a stout. After that, I'll break down and bring home a sour. Further down the line, something with marshmallow....no! Musn't! Can't Won't! Don't! 

No comments: